Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sometimes you just have to ask....



Just a few short blips on the calender ago, I was bemoaning the fact that I couldn't get into the spirit of the season because, among other things, it was 65 degrees and sunny. Well, the (almost) impossible has happened....it snowed in Las Vegas.

Yes, snow...in the desert. There is something slightly apocalyptic about seeing snow on palm trees. It's like one of those "find what's wrong with this picture" games. But, for a few brief, wintry hours, I felt like I was home. I wrangled my winter coat from the depths of the closet, and made my way to the store. I was thrust into hibernation mode, and needed to stock up in case we were snowed in. And, in true first-snowfall-of-the-season fashion, I made a hearty pot of chili to warm the bones and the soul.

When I woke up this morning, water was running off the eaves, and the sun was shining once more. By noon, the roads were almost completely clear, and I looked like a fool still traipsing around in my winter coat. Someone even mocked me by asking where my snow boots were. To them, the snow was nothing more than a passing inconvenience.

To me, it was much more. It broke me out of my tiny 'bah-humbug' box, and pushed me right into merry mode.

'Tis definitely the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment